Sunday, October 14, 2012

Red Velvet Cheesecake

          Hello readers! I know it has been a while since I have written, but I have a new recipe to share with you today.  The first is for the cheesecake or red velvet cake lovers, because it involves combining them into a beautiful masterpiece! Yes, that’s right. Red Velvet Cheesecake. Yes, I am telling you the truth.
          I do have a few things to say about the cheesecake though, before I give you my ratings and the recipe. 1. I like red velvet cake, but I am not IN LOVE with it, so I might be a bad judge of this cheesecake. 2. I like my cheesecake to be very firm, and not too fluffy, so I might give a harsh rating because this is a very fluffy cheesecake. 3. I changed the original recipe by using a box cake mix for the crust (I know, I am going to Baking Hell…) but feel free to follow the original recipe. I just didn’t feel like spending a ton of time on the cake part. You can get the original recipe over here. Ok, now time for my ratings.
 
·         Yumminess---6---I know I should have expected this with red velvet, but there isn’t a whole lot of FLAVOR going on in this cheesecake. The cheesecake itself tastes good, but the red velvet cake adds no flavors that spark MY interest, but maybe you will fall in love!
·         Easiness---7---The way I made the recipe was quite simple, but if you follow the original recipe it would definitely be more difficult. I would have given it a higher score, but it required about 8 hours of chilling before it could be served, and  I just HATE waiting that long! J I also didn’t do the water bath that the original recipe recommends doing, but I would recommend that you do it. I just had no pan big enough or deep enough to do it.
·         Repeat---4---IF I repeat this recipe, I will use half the amount of sour cream, because I think that is one of the reasons it was so fluffy. Maybe I am just not a fan of New York style cheesecake.

TIPS FROM ORIGINAL RECIPE
·         Be sure and get the crust layer no more than 1/4 inch thick with batter or you will have too much cake on the bottom.
·         Follow all the directions carefully.
·         All ingredients should be at room temperature.
·         The water bath is important, don’t leave it off.
·         Make sure your aluminum foil is wrapped securely around the bottom of the springform and up the sides to prevent leaking.
·         Do NOT peek at the cheesecake while it is baking or resting. It makes it cranky.
·         Let the cake come to room temperature before chilling.
·         Place paper towel over the top of the cake before wrapping with plastic wrap and chilling. This will keep the top dry and help guard against cracking.
INGREDIENTS
Cake:
·         Make cake according to box cake mix
Cheesecake:
·         32 oz cream cheese
·         16 ozs sour cream
·         2 cups sugar
·         2 teaspoon vanilla
·         6 eggs

DIRECTIONS
Cake:
·         Make cake box mix as the directions on the back say.
·         Put about ½ the mix in the springform pan (about 11 inch)
·         Put the other ½ in a regular cake pan
·         Bake according to instructions box for temperature for 20 minutes
Cheesecake:
·         Preheat oven to 375F
·         Beat the cheesecake ingredients together until smooth.
·         Reserve about 1/2 cup cake crumbs for the top.
·         Fold the remaining cake chunks into cheesecake batter.
·         Pour into pan.
·         Cover the bottom of the springform (the one with the cake layer in it) with aluminum foil, bringing it up the sides.
·         Place pan in larger pan of hot water. Water should come halfway up the sides.
·         Bake for 45 minutes.
·         Turn oven off and leave door closed for 1 hour. Don’t PEEK!
·         Remove from oven, take out of bain marie.
·         Let come to room temperature and cover tightly.
·         Refrigerate over night

No comments:

Post a Comment