Sunday, October 28, 2012

Creamy Apple Crumb Pie

          When you think of fall, what comes to mind? For me, it is colorful leaves, Starbucks coffee, pumpkin, and pie. When I say pie, I mean ANY pie. My first pie of the season is a creamy apple, and it is one of my favorites to make. My first taste of a creamy apple pie was at a Birthday party at my boyfriend’s aunt’s house. It was literally the best pie I had ever eaten. This isn’t the exact recipe, but it is pretty darn good. I hope you like it as much as I do! Here is the original recipe if you are interested, although I changed it a little bit.
I'm pretty proud of this pie :)

·         Yumminess---10---This is so incredibly good. It would be perfect for Thanksgiving…if you can wait that long!
·         Easiness---6---The only problem with pies is that they are quite difficult to make, especially the crust. This pie is totally worth the trouble though!
·         Repeat---10---I have made this twice already, so yes, I would repeat it.
INGREDIENTS
Crust
·         1 ½ cups All Purpose Flour
·         1 tsp Salt
·         2 Tbs Sugar
·         ½ cup Veg. Oil
·         2 Tbs cold milk
Pie filling
·         1/3 cup sugar
·         3 Tbs cornstarch
·         1 tsp cinnamon
·         ¼ tsp allspice
·         6 cups diced peeled tart apples (about 6 medium Granny Smith)
·         1 cup (8 oz) reduced-fat sour cream
·         1 tsp vanilla extract
Crumb topping
·         ½ cup all-purpose flour
·         ¼ cup brown sugar
·         ½ tsp cinnamon
·         2 Tbs melted butter
DIRECTIONS
·         Spray pie pan with Pam or other non-stick oil.
·         For the crust, sift flour, salt and sugar in a 9” pie pan. Combine oil and milk in measuring cup and whip with a fork and pour over the flour mixture. Mix with fork until flour is completely dampened. Press evenly and firmly into the pie pan. Then press dough up to line sides and partly cover the rim. (no need to roll this dough)
·         For the filling, combine the sugar, cornstarch, cinnamon and all spice. Fold in the apples. Combine sour cream and vanilla; stir into the apple mixture. Spoon into the pastry shell.
·         For topping, compbine the flour, brown sugar and cinnamon in a bowl; cut in the melted butter until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Sprinkle over filling
·         Bake at 400° for 25 minutes. Reduce heat to 350°; bake for 25-30 minutes longer or until filling is bubbly and topping is golden. Cool on a wire rack. Refrigerate leftovers.

No comments:

Post a Comment