Saturday, October 6, 2012

Crispy Honey Chicken

          I wish I could say that this next recipe is all mine, but it is not.  Although, I did change a bit of the recipe…so perhaps I can claim it.  This has become my and Cameron’s (my boyfriend) new favorite dinner recipe. We have made it three times so far, and it just gets better each time!  It is a super quick dinner, so if I was Rachael Ray I would list this on my “30 Minutes or Less” page, but alas, I am not Rachael Ray. 
          You can find the original recipe here, but just know that I changed it quite a bit, as I felt that Tablespoonfuls of some of the spices seemed like overkill.
The most delicious chicken you will ever eat.

·         Easiness---8---It’s just about the easiest fried chicken you will ever make, and all you need for a side is some white or brown rice.
·         Yumminess---10---Soooooooo good. I actually cannot believe it has taken me this long to write about it. I just needed to have a picture to share.
·         Repeat---10---Well, I have made it 3 times, so you can go ahead and assume that I will make it again. I hope this becomes one of your go-to recipes too!
INGREDIENTS:
Chicken:
·         4 boneless chicken breasts
·         2 cups flour
·         4 stp salt
·         4 tsp ground ginger
·         2 tsp nutmeg
·         3 tsp ground thyme
·         2 tsp ground sage
·         2 tsp paprika
·         2 tsp cayenne pepper
·         4 eggs
·         8 Tbs water
Sauce:
·         2 Tbs olive oil
·         3-4 cloves minced garlic
·         1 cup honey
·         ¼ cup soy sauce
·         1 tsp ground black pepper
Rice:
·         Make rice to your liking. I prefer plain white rice with this recipe.
DIRECTIONS:
·         Slice chicken breasts in half to make them THINNER, then in half again to make them shorter. (one chicken breast will give you 4 pieces of chicken)
·         Sift together the flour, salt, ginger, nutmeg, thyme, sage, paprika, and cayenne pepper.
·         Make an egg wash by combining the eggs and water.
·         Dip the chicken once into the egg wash, then into the flour and spice mixture. I like to do this step twice to ensure the chicken will be extra crunchy.
·         Heat a skillet on the stove with about a half inch of canola oil covering the bottom. You will want to carefully regulate the temperature here so that the chicken does not brown too quickly. The thinness of the breast meat practically guarantees that it will be fully cooked by the time the outside is browned. I find just below medium heat works well. I use a burner setting of about 4 1/2 out of 10 on the dial and fry them gently for about 4 or 5 minutes per side until golden brown and crispy.
 
Here is Cameron making the chicken. He's pretty cute.
 
·         Drain on a wire rack for a couple of minutes before dipping the cooked breasts into the Honey Garlic Sauce. Serve with noodles or rice
·         In a saucepan, add the garlic and olive oil. Let cook for about 1-2 minutes, but be sure to not let the garlic burn.
·         Add the honey, soy sauce and pepper.
·         Simmer for 5-10 minutes (I like to make the sauce while the chicken is cooking, that way it is all ready at the same time).  Be careful to watch the sauce, because it can boil up over the edge pretty easily.

No comments:

Post a Comment