Thursday, August 23, 2012

Strawberry Lemonade Cake


I think I am starting to get a hang of this blog thing.  I really wish I had taken more photos of recipes I have made in the past so that I could share them with you….but for now my iphone pictures will have to make do!
I made this cake for Easter and then again a few months ago because it turned out fabulously.  I found the original recipe over here at easybaked, but I changed up a few things to make it my own.  It still tastes absolutely delicious, provided you like strawberry lemonade…because the name does not lie.
Whenever I make a new recipe, I like to rate it on a scale of 1-10 for easiness, yumminess, and how likely I am to repeat it (10 being super easy, incredibly yummy, and extremely likely to remake it).  Here are my ratings for Strawberry Lemonade Cake:
This is how it SHOULD have looked.

Easiness---7---It requires making to separate cakes and then cutting both of those in half so that you have 4 layers. Long story short, I learned I will never enter a cake cutting contest.
 
Yumminess---8---It was a little bit too tart for me.  It’s fantastic, but not something I could eat a large amount of at a time.

Repeat:---10---Obviously I will remake it since I have already made it twice.

           
 



Anyway, I hope you like it as much as my family and I did!  Let me know if you have any questions about my edits to the recipe or anything else!
 
How MINE looked. Again, still yummy!
INGREDIENTS:

·         *One box of strawberry cake mix (plus oil, water and eggs as directed on box)

·         8oz. Philadelphia Cream Cheese (softened to room temp.)

·         *1 packet (0.23oz.) of Kool-Aid Lemonade

·         Yellow food coloring gel (as desired for color)

·         **2 cups Jet-Puffed Marshmallow Creme

·         8 oz. Cool Whip Topping

·         Fresh strawberries to garnish.

DIRECTIONS:

·         ***Make cake according to box and bake in 2- 9 inch round cake pans as directed. Turn finished cakes over on cake racks and allow to cool completely.

·         Cream together cream cheese, lemonade and yellow food coloring until smooth.

·         Mix marshmallow creme in and then mix in Cool Whip until completely smooth. Refrigerate until cake is cooled and cut.

·         Cut each cake layer in half.

·         Alternating layers of cake with layers of filling, assemble cake. End with layer of filling.

·         Top with sliced strawberries.

·         Refrigerate and serve chilled.

 

*The next time I make this I am going to reverse everything.  I am going to use Lemon cake mix and Strawberry Lemonade Kool-Aid instead.

**My icing turned out a bit runny, and I think it was because 2 cups of marshmallow is too much. The second time I made it I used about 1 1/2 cups and it seemed to help.

***I baked mine in 2 square pans, because I do not own round cake pans. It still turned out good!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment