Monday, November 12, 2012

Crispy Veggie Flautas

         My birthday was on October 12th, and to celebrate I went to Food Truck Friday in St. Louis.  It was my third time going to the event, and I absolutely love it. I like to try something different every time I go, so this time I went with LuLu’s LocalEatery Food Truck, and I had a delicious wrap filled with sweet potato, rice, black beans, corn and a yummy avocado sauce. I had been thinking about trying to make something similar to this when I saw this recipe on Pinterest. I couldn’t believe how similar it was, so I knew I had to give it a go.
          It is the perfect amount of spicy, and it is meatless, so it works for an array of different diets.  You could also easily make it lactose free, I believe, by just removing the small amount of cheese.  I hope you enjoy this as much as I do (I’ve already made it a second time so that I could freeze them and take them to work for lunch!).

·         Yumminess---10---These are melt in your mouth good, and are a completely guilt free meal if you are trying to count calories or eat healthy like I am.
·         Easiness---10---Really a pretty simple recipe. The sweet potato cooks easily in the microwave, then you just have to mix everything together and fill your tortillas and bake them!
·         Repeat---10---Already made it again! It worked out great; I made about 30 of them, and then I froze them in packs of 4-5 so I could take them for lunch!
INGREDIENTS
·         1 can Mexicorn
·         1 can Black Beans Original Flavor
·         2 Sweet Potatoes medium size
·         ¼ Cup Diced White Onion
·         ½ tsp Chili Powder
·         ½ tsp Garlic Powder
·         ½ tsp Fresh or Dried Cilantro
·         ½ tsp Cumin
·         ½ tsp Cayenne Pepper
·         3 oz. Cream Cheese (I used fat free and that worked just fine)
·         ¼ cup grated cheese (I like something spicy like pepper jack)
·         About 20-30 small size tortillas (6-8 inches)
·         Spray Pam

DIRECTIONS
·         Microwave your sweet potatoes for 8 minutes. Use a fork to poke a few holes in the potato, and wrap in a damp paper towel to keep the moisture in them.
·         De-skin the potatoes and mix with the cream cheese with a spoon until it is a nice creamy texture.
·         Mix in the rest of the ingredients.
·         Spray a cookie sheet with Pam and preheat your oven to 400°
·         Fill your tortillas with about 2 TBS worth of the filling and roll into a flauta.
·         Spray the flautas with Pam and bake for about 10 minutes or until golden brown and crispy.
 

If you have any questions about this recipe or any other, please feel free to comment or ask!

No comments:

Post a Comment